Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

May 7, 2017

Crockpot Dulce de Leche Caramel Sauce

The latest restaurant trend in the southland is an empanada shop.  There's even a new one at the Original Farmer's Market at 3rd & Fairfax called Nonna's Empanadas.  My favorite for years has been a Dulce de Leche Empanada with apples from a little place in Burbank.  I had never heard of this magical Argentinian sauce until I tried it there.  Turns out it's simply a slow-caramelized version of sweetened condensed milk. 

Stirring Dulce de Leche into my morning coffee
Dulce de Leche is one of the most decadent treats you can have at home.  Making the caramel sauce could not be easier.  There's no need for a recipe, as there's really only one step to the process.  Buy canned sweetened condensed milk.  Place the entire can in your crock pot, and submerge in water, with at least an inch to cover the top.  Put the lid on the crockpot and turn on low for 9-10 hours.  I have a standard 2.5 quart slow cooker, and I have fit up to four cans of condensed milk in at one time.  The hardest part is actually opening the dulce de leche, as the heated cans may tend to pop when you peel back the top.  I then use a spatula to scoop the sauce into an airtight glass dish and store in the refrigerator.  If perhaps you forgot about the crockpot overnight (cough), you'll find you have an extra thick caramel.  Simply whisk in a little milk until you have a smooth consistency once again. 

Pumpkin Dulce de Leche Latte and the sauce itself
I took Dulce de Leche to a picnic recently with a plate of strawberries, bananas, and apples on the side to dip into the caramel.  It's great as a topping for ice cream or layered into baked goods.  But my favorite way to use it is to mix a tablespoonful into my morning pumpkin coffee, then make a latte. It's the perfect sweet treat to see me through morning traffic. 

Dulce de Leche sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment