Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

April 29, 2018

Upcycled Grey Kitty Welcome Sign


My best friend has four or five grey cats, all with their own variations, yet all flavors on a theme.  So when I found a cute little needlepoint sign at a thrift shop, I immediately thought of her.  I had to snatch it up.  It looked very eighties, and the frame was not in great condition, but I thought I could recycle it into something neat again.

I excitedly took it apart at home, and washed the stitching in my kitchen sink in Oxyclean, hoping it would freshen it up again.  While brightened, there were still a few rust spots outside the framed area.  After cleaning the frame with as much elbow grease as the fabric, it became clear that the framing was custom, and could look great again.  Using the same frame resolved the problem of having to clean up the formerly hidden area, and it was a nice size for my friend's apartment door.  

I bought self-stick mounting board from Amazon and cut two layers, one to stretch the needlework over, and one to obscure the back of the work.  The hardest part was centering the design to the mounting board, but after a few peel-and-stick applications, I got it as true as it could be. 

I love resurrecting old stitches, appreciating all the time and love that have gone into them.  I imagine the original maker and how much they would enjoy knowing their work has had not one audience, but another new life beyond that.  Do you have any favorite heirlooms that you have stumbled across and passed along?


Parker
Percy
Gracie
Ronan

No comments:

Post a Comment