Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

October 3, 2010

Alligator Clip Barrettes


I made these darling child's alligator clip barrettes over the weekend. They were so easy! I saw them on a talk show or blog somewhere, and it sat in my brain until I had the time to get to it, so I can't remember to whom I should properly attribute the idea.

I got the steel single prong alligator clips in bulk online here for less than fifteen cents apiece, including the shipping. I priced them out at a couple local beauty supplies, and this was by far the best deal. It was a simple task to then wrap ribbon bought on clearance after last Christmas season around them using a hot glue gun. Okay, I'm not as handy with the glue gun as I would like to admit--they were more time intensive than I expected. But they're a great frugal gift for a new mother or favorite niece.


They make handy hair clips for children or adults, but I can think of some other uses for them too: one of them is to hold pairs of mittens or socks together in a closet or bin. My favorite is to use them to clip holiday cards to twine or rope to make a swag wall decoration. I'll be doing this with incoming Christmas cards this year, and love the idea as a Valentine's Day banner. With an everyday-themed ribbon, I'm planning to make a handful for a friend in the hospital. She can use a card banner that can be easily swapped out to stay current, and is portable when she switches rooms.

Have you ever made hair accessories for your children? Please post a comment to the blog, and send pictures if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment