Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

March 25, 2013

Tomatoes and Ladybugs


I planted my tomato seedlings from Tomatomania at the end of March this year.  I did seven starts, with a couple of duplicates, that included all my favorites:  Sungold, Isis Candy, Striped Cavern, Green Zebra, and maybe a Pineapple.  

Problems in my watering system have meant they haven't gotten a great start this year, but I did try to give them a push by releasing some ladybugs into my garden.  I dropped most of them onto the Hibiscus plants that I am training into a hedge. It was so fun watching them disperse over the course of the next several days!  They're released at sunset, when the cooler temperatures encourage them to stay in the area.  The wood shavings are from the container in which the ladybugs were packaged.  

Have you ever experimented with beneficial insects in your garden?  Please leave a comment with your experience in releasing them, and whether or not it had an effect on your plants.



No comments:

Post a Comment