Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

July 13, 2013

Summer Fruit with FBLA


We had everything from salads, to cheesecake, to savory crepes at the FBLA's July meeting, with the theme of "summer fruits."  The Sangria was a wonderful compliment to the lightness of our meal.  I had the opportunity to share a treasured family recipe at this meeting:  my grandma's Banana Salad.


The sauce for our Banana Salad is a simple one of sugar and mayo.  It has a sweet tanginess close to caramel.  Added to bananas and nuts, and you have my favorite dish!  We serve this at every family reunion (goes without saying) and on every holiday table.  Amongst my most common requests (along with cheese souffle) whenever my mom cooks for me, in my immediate family this will forever be known as "Bana Salad," the title my sister wrote when she transcribed the recipe from my grandma at about nine years old.  While the sauce can easily be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator, this salad is best made fresh before eating.  The bananas do not keep well, especially once sauced.  Of course, I've never known there to be leftovers anyway.  

What's your favorite fruit salad?  Please share in the comments to this post.


Jessie Walker's Banana Salad

4 lg. Bananas
Crushed Peanuts

Dressing:
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 tbsp. Butter

Directions:
1)  Slice bananas.
2)  Combine dressing ingredients in small saucepan.  Stir over low heat until smooth.
3)  In serving bowl, layer bananas, nuts and dressing.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment