Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

January 22, 2018

Westridge-Canyonback Wilderness Park Hike


I don't do gyms.  As a kid, I was a figure skater, but it's been many years since I've done that regularly.  Left to my own devices I'll spend all day at a movie theater, but I know that's not healthy.  So I have dogs.  My senior pup has back issues that prevent her from much physical activity, but my "baby" is my hiking buddy.  A neighbor recently introduced us to an awesome trail that is largely flat and mainly consist of a fire road.  Called Westridge-Canyonback Wilderness Park, it's a beautiful two hour(ish) hike above the Skirball that roughly follows the 405 freeway.  This hike offers great views where on a clear day one can see from downtown LA all the way to the ocean and coast. Part of the Santa Monica Mountains, this area is a gem of Southern California. 

 

My neighbor's two medium sized dogs go off leash, but I keep five-pound Caitie on a tether at all times when out in nature.  Besides the coyotes that have been rampant due to the destruction of their habitat by forest fire in the last few years, there are also hawks and other predatory birds that could snatch her up, so it's best to be safe.  But while I'm always aware of possibilities, it's not a likelihood, and Caitie bounds along in stride with the other pups.

Caitie pulls me up a hill with our friends waiting at the top
I have asthma, so I love this hike because it is largely flat and therefore easier on my lungs.  But there are hills alongside the fire road with paths if you choose to challenge yourself.  A few have cairns where folks have built artful piles of rocks to mark the way.

Looking back to see why I'm so slow

Caitie's low enough to the ground to get quite dirty, so at the top of the hill she shimmied to shake off the dust.  I was at a lower angle still climbing, so I was able to get some great shots. 



The first day we went, a little more overcast, looking east towards Burbank


An ultra-clear day:  Zoomed in, this panorama shows downtown LA and the ocean and coast
Downtown Los Angeles in the left third of the frame

No comments:

Post a Comment