Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

May 13, 2010

Cauliflower Casserole

I've been on a no-groceries kick lately, and this week it forced me to get creative. Last night I made a casserole from cauliflower, onions, garlic, and Morningstar Farms crumbles, topped off with sundried tomato alfredo sauce. I've just had it for dinner and it's really tasty! And the bonus is that because I put it into several pans I have another casserole in the freezer whenever I need it.

I trimmed the cauliflower, and boiled it for about five minutes to cook, then strained. This was the base of the casserole.


The second layer was composed of a half of a purple onion, diced and sauteed till glossy and translucent, a generous handful of roasted garlic, and a full bag of sauteed veggie crumbles.


Lastly, I cheated, by using a prepared pasta sauce, Classico's Sun-dried Tomato Alfredo. With as long as it took to sautee and prepare the vegetables, I would have been cooking all night except for this shortcut! The tart-sweetness of the sauce complimented the seasoning of the veggie crumbles.



Here's the assemblage....


I baked it from frozen at 325 degrees for about an hour. The casserole looked pretty much the same after it had been baked.


But oh was it scrumptious and even had a pretty presentation on the plate thanks to the little florets of cauliflower. It looked like "home cooking" to me.


What's your best kitchen improvisation that became a part of your repertoire? Leave me a comment on the blog with your recipe.

2 comments:

  1. My best kitchen improvisation that has become part of my repertoire? Hmmn... everything? Right now we are eating out the freezer/canned goods from last summer. My goal is to start August on empty as the gardens come in full. Saturday night it was turkey broth stock from Christmas, with some freezer cauliflower and zucchini (which I had thoughtfully ribboned last August) and noodles thrown in. It was great. I think the total cost per bowl was like....10 cents? Maybe????????

    Keep up the great work! I'm looking forward to a garden update at some point. I just went back and reread your spring garden post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. I am becoming a big fan of cauliflower and look forward to trying this improvised recipe.

    BTW, I am glad that I am not the only one who occassionally cheats and uses a prepared sauce.

    ReplyDelete