Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

July 26, 2010

Needlepoint-Plastic Canvas Card Box


I realized I haven't shared a craft project in quite a while, so I photographed this Needlepointed Plastic Canvas Card Box I made for myself a couple of years ago.

I came across a stack of needlepoint pattern magazines in a thrift shop for about two dollars, and it seemed to light a fire in me. It was the first time I found practical, heirloom craft projects--like this box. I made it with Lion brand chenille yarn, so it looks rich and beautiful. The best thing about making something yourself is that you can make it fit your tastes exactly. I picked fall tones that fit into my design scheme.


The pattern is from the July 1998 issue of Plastic Canvas Corner magazine (a Leisure Arts Publication). I really liked that it had several different stitches, including tent stitch and Scotch stitch, which add to the richness of the texture. I'll try to add the pattern to this post once I figure out how to scan it in.


The inside has a removable solid divider that allows perfect sizing for two decks of playing cards, with room for a book of matches to light my living room candle.


I put felt bumpers on the underneath to raise the box slightly off the tabletop so it wouldn't get scuffed up as easily over time.


I lined the top of the lid with felt, which hid the underside of the stitching for a more finished feel.


Even though I made this for myself, I'm hoping it'll become something of a family heirloom, so I put a label in it marking my work.


What sort of practical handmade items are in your home? Did you make them yourself or receive them as gifts? Please leave a comment on my blog so I can hear your stories as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment