Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

July 16, 2011

Weekly Garden Update with Annuals


I planted a few annuals, mostly Petunias, in the side garden bed this last week. All told I spent $20 at the hardware store with all but one being from the "mostly dead" clearance rack ~ but they'll all do well in my yard! The Petunias were red/pink, white, and blue/purple left over from 4th of July. I usually forgo annuals as I don't like to have to re-plant each year, but these have added so much color that they've made me a convert. I also got a new sage seedling and pulled out the old because it was too woody and no longer producing much leaf; that was the "new" splurge. Then I got a beautiful tea rose that I added to the near end of the bed. I've tried several roses there and it's always been too shady or dry for them to survive, but the bed looks so abbreviated without one I'm hoping to better care for this one.


The garden from the other end, looking down toward the gate/driveway.


I've got a beautiful Amaryllis blooming right now in the center bed near the laundry. Amazing what pops up when it gets water! That bed is not reached by the watering system, so it usually founders, but being home lately I've given it more attention.




This is one of the Hibiscus I planted at the far top of the yard, viewable as you walk in from the gate. I think this will go on a Zazzle card!


Here's the bed where the Amyrillis is and where I put the Dahlia last week. The Dahlia has lots of buds but nothing open at the moment--though there are Persian Daffodils in bloom.


The Tea Rose I just put in. Small but such dainty reddish-pink blooms that I'm in love. A few other cool spots in the garden right now:


The Artichoke has a couple of globes again. I love seeing this go to seed in the summer.


The path along our fenceline has the berries overgrowing and the Canna is in full glory.


My neighbor's Bougainvilla drapes over the fence in our backyard, and my owl statue stands watch.

1 comment:

  1. nice!! i can only hope to get the weeds out of our beds & my back yard. with all that went on this year, we will have to start over with our landscaping plans next spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete