Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 1, 2011

MorningStar Farms Meatless Loaf


I have one friend that I consider a true budget cook. She feeds both meat-eaters (her husband) and vegetarians (herself). A family tendency towards diabetes has encouraged her to educate herself about nutrition. She stretches her grocery budget as far as it can go by relying on staples and keeping a well-stocked pantry, often cooking from scratch. She's great at feeding crowds or families and handles unexpected guests (often myself) with ease.

Today she showed me how to make a vegetarian version of meatloaf, from a recipe off the MorningStar Farms website. Having grown up teaching myself to dislike the smell and taste of meat, long before "meat-like" vegetarian products were available, I'm still trying to stretch my palate to include meat subsitutes like seitan or TVP, textured vegetable protein.

I used an 8x8 dish instead of a loaf pan because it was what I had handy. I like smaller portions anyway so the shallow dish is fine with me. The beauty of this recipe is how easy it is to customize; since Heather's breadcrumbs contained Italian seasonings we left the separate spices out of our dish. And since neither of us care much for celery, we omitted that too. When I make this in my kitchen, I will add sauteed mushrooms and bell pepper.

Meatless Loaf

12 ounces MorningStar Farms® Meal Starters™ Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™
1/2 cup refrigerated egg substitute*
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup ketchup

1. In mixing bowl, combine MORNINGSTAR FARMS MEAL STARTERS GRILLERS RECIPE CRUMBLES, egg substitute, parsley, Italian seasoning and bread crumbs.

2. In small saucepan cook onions and celery in oil until tender. Add to Crumbles mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined. Press into 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan generously coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes. Spread ketchup over loaf. Bake at 350°F about 15 minutes more or until set.

*Note: If desired, replace egg substitute with 2 lightly beaten eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment