Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 22, 2013

Comfort Food: Miso Soup with Tofu and Mushrooms


I was very sore after a chiropractic appointment yesterday, and needed a self-care night.  I've been thinking for awhile about making a pot of miso soup.  Last night was the right time for some slow cooking.  

We've been discussing the nutritive value of mushrooms in my course at IIN, and they're one of my favorite vegetables.  My exposure to sea vegetables is mainly kelp and nori.  This is another catgory of my pantry I will look to expand. 

Made by improvisation, I can estimate my recipe:  I used a 32 oz box of low-sodium vegetable stock, about a tablespoon and a half of miso, a generous teaspoon of ground kelp, about two cups of dried mushrooms, and three blocks of tofu.  I thinned out the broth with a few cups of water when I realized how strongly the mushrooms had flavored the stock.  I diced the tofu into fine squares and added it to the broth at the last minute to avoid degeneration. 

What soups do you enjoy making from scratch?  Do you invest a lot of prep time into them, or find them easy to throw together?  Have you tried many sea vegetables?  Feel free to leave a comment on the blog. 

2 comments:

  1. Since you asked and are looking to widen your soup scope, I think you would love this Korean Bean Paste Soup. Like your Miso Soup, it also has tofu and mushroom, but it is spicy (it can be made less spicy, though). I make quick soups and soups that take over an hour of actual work to make, but I love them all! http://www.christinascucina.com/2013/01/doenjang-chigae-aka-korean-bean-paste.html

    ReplyDelete