Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 15, 2013

The Healthy Voyager Vegan Tasting

Honey Yougert Semifreddo with Raspberries and Pistachios

I had the good fortune to attend a vegan tasting put on by The Healthy Voyager and the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza.  I sampled vegan red and white wine, entrees and desserts courtesy of the Hyatt's Chef Felix & Chef Ali.  

 

This is one of the first events I've had the opportunity to attend as "blogger press."  I was so excited to taste great vegan food that I forgot how early the sun is setting now that it is late summer, and I didn't take many photographs before losing the beautiful golden hour daylight. 

I had the chance to chat with Chef Ali and his perspective on food was refreshing.  Though none of the restaurants in this Hyatt are strictly vegan, there are vegan options on every menu. 


I tried foods I don't usually touch, including Asparagus with a Cauliflower Cream and Macadamias, and a Pea Soup with Mint Shooter.  Luckily I remembered to bring my blog business cards, and gave myself permission to chat up a crowd of strangers.  I made friends with the lovely Melissa of Baking with Melissa and had a fun ladies' night out hanging with her and her guest.  The wines from The Vegan Vine were a delight. 

Beyond the people I met, the highlight of the night was absolutely the desserts.  I fell in love with the Chocolate Hazelnut Macaroons.  The Strawberries stuffed with cheesecake and kahlua were extravagant in presentation as well as being delicious.  And the Chocolate Brazil Nut and Cashew Cream ice creams had a texture closer to gelato. 

In awe of the lovely poolside setting, I remarked how often I'd been next door at the Fox lot.  Next time my wrap puts me into rush hour traffic, I know where to stop and wait it out.

Hazelnut Macaroons

No comments:

Post a Comment