Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

January 5, 2017

Homemade Cranberry Sauce and Acorn Squash Stuffed with Cranberries and Chestnuts



My blog is a great creative outlet and hobby for me that spotlights the new and fun aspects of my life.  However, I don't often talk about how other bloggers influence me.  This year a friend helped make my holiday special.

I spent the holidays of 2016 in Los Angeles, away from my family.  I wanted to do something special for myself but without a lot of muss and fuss. I saw a posting on facebook around Thanksgiving by my foodie friend Sue Burns, who writes the blog It's Okay to Eat the Cupcake.  A recipe for a homemade cranberry sauce, it was a simple facebook posting, not an elaborate blog post; but the photo caught my eye, and the fact that it was simple enough to be written up in a couple of sentences fit my holiday agenda.


I've never liked cranberry bread and generally steer away from them, but the fact that I made this sauce myself allowed me to flavor it to taste.  And the citrus in the recipe convinced me that it would be sweet, not tart.  I added cardamom to Sue's recipe for a bit of warmth.  The sauce was fun to watch bubble and pop as the cranberries boiled and softened into a thick mixture.  



To balance the sweet/tartness of the cranberry sauce, I served it stuffed in a roasted acorn squash, and added the holiday garnish of roasted chestnuts.  It made for a beautiful and special holiday presentation as a meal for one, but would easily work with a crowd. 


No comments:

Post a Comment