Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

July 7, 2018

Thanksgiving in a Smoothie


Temps reached 119 degrees in North Hollywood yesterday.  While I have a small window a/c unit in my bedroom, my main coping skill of this heat wave is lots of cold liquids, frozen ice packs for the pups and I to lie on, and in the hottest hours, escaping to public places with better air conditioning, like movie theaters, IKEA, and the mall.  

It was only around a hundred degrees when I woke up this morning, and I felt like a truck had run over me.  So I knew I'd need a smoothie to make it through the day.  I normally keep a good supply of frozen fruit to get me through the summer, but this is the first heat wave of the season.  Surprisingly I found a bag of frozen cranberries in my freezer, intended for winter cranberry sauce that never got made.  I don't usually like the tartness of cranberries, but I decided to make a smoothie that would transport me to winter holidays in the hopes I could imagine the winter temps.  It turned out yummy and sweet!

What's your favorite smoothie recipe?  How do  you cope with a major heat wave?  Please comment below.

Cranberry-Cacao Smoothie
1/2 c frozen cranberries1/3 c canned pumpkin
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut
1 Tbsp cacao nibs
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 cups cold soymilk or other nondairy milk

Blend all in a mason jar using an immersion blender and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment