Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 15, 2018

Every Chef Needs an Apron


One of my most cherished possessions is a small collection of aprons that belonged to my Grandma.  I have the blue one in this photo from the late seventies or early eighties, where my mom and grandma are decorating sugar cookies.  The apron has green and red piping on the edges and pockets in the front.  

My mom just made me a new apron, using grandma's as a template.  It's so cute, and so much fun to have one made just for me.  The fabric has playful monkeys, an inside joke with my mom.  My mom lives on the other side of the country, so this was a sweet surprise to receive in the mail.

Today I went to a friend's to make a holiday Scottish whiskey fruitcake, so I broke in my new apron.  I love creating new memories with my mom in the kitchen, even when she can't physically be with me.


I'm sure I posted about this many years ago, when my dad and I first made it, but my mom asked for this photo because of the apron, so I dug all of these up.  My grandma had nine children.  She cooked from scratch and was famous for her noodles.  Her noodle cutter saw use after repeated use throughout decades, the paint nearly worn off the handle.   After she passed, it was given to me, and I asked my dad to help me make a shadowbox with her picture.  I couldn't find a photo of her using the noodle cutter, but the apron was iconic, so this was the photo we printed for the shadowbox.  It's in my kitchen to this day.  Every time I use or see one of grandma's tools I'm reminded of her resourcefulness and fortitude.  And of course, love, just as I wear my mom's love in my new apron.




No comments:

Post a Comment