Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

February 9, 2019

Silverlake Reservoir Hike

Caitie at sunset
I've posted about a few local hikes on my blog.  Silver Lake Reservoir is the one I do most often.  I live not too far from there.  It's got decently available street parking.  The hike is well groomed, so I don't have to be afraid of ticks or other disease to my dog.  We get to meet lots of people and dogs, so it's great for socialization, whether that means stopping to greet or learning to pass without making a fuss.  It's fairly flat, which is great for my asthma.  But it's a good workout as it takes about an hour to go around the full circle at a brisk walk.  And it's beautiful!  Over the years I've been going there, there's been an added park, additional trails, and more landscaping.  


I've taken all of my dogs to Silver Lake Reservoir over several years  It's a favorite spot for me when I'm having a bad day.  The water never fails to cheer me.  When I've been off work for a while, just the simple interaction of a hello from another passerby can make me feel "seen" and completely change my day for the better.

I've seen hawks, coyotes, hummingbirds, ducks, and geese at the reservoir on various occasions. It's a leashed-dog area, except within the bounds of the small and large dog parks at one end. 






The Silver Lake Water Conservancy has put up a series of signs about the history of the reservoirs in Los Angeles.  It's really interesting to know how old they are, and how they've helped the city to survive and grow throughout the decades. 





Claire, Caitie and Chance
I love this place so much I spent Christmas Day hiking there one year.  I carried Claire in her travel bag so that she could join Chance, Caitie and I since her IVDD prevents her from taking long walks.  I wanted all of us to be together on the holiday.

Now that Caitie has passed, I'm continuing the tradition of hiking the reservoir often with my new pup, Callie.  We went today, a Wednesday in early February.  It's been rainy for much of January but the weather was lovely this afternoon.  Snow was visible on the mountains in the far distance. 

Callie's first Silver Lake hike!



Our reason for visiting today was that I'd recently heard of a new path being opened.  It supposedly allowed the public to get close to the reservoir itself, since the water is no longer being used as drinking (potable) water.  

I expected the path to circle the entire reservoir, but found that it was really a small portion of the hike, which paralleled the old path not far from the street.  

On the plus side, the new pathway is handicapped accessible and nicely landscaped.  I hope it will be lengthened in time.
the new Ivanhoe Pathway
the new Ivanhoe Pathway

No comments:

Post a Comment