Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

February 3, 2010

Laundry Greywater System

Last week, a friend set up my clothes washer so that the greywater can be filtered into any of my garden beds or backyard. I was so excited about this project! It's good for the environment; reduces need to water plants; and is cheap, fast and easy to do. I'm so happy I'm green! Here's how it works:


The black pipe on the left above is the existing drain that goes into the sewer system, and previously the only outlet I had. My friend hooked up a parallel piece of PVC, so that I can manually switch from the sewer to a line hooked to a hose, that I can then point to a garden bed.


All I have to do to switch from one to the other is lift the tubing out, and place it in the alternate line.



There's even a coupling so that if the tube ever gets clogged, when it hits a certain level the water will overflow into the sewer line.


The white PVC line is simply connected to a garden hose


Which then drains wherever it is placed--like my tufty grassed yard.


Since we used hose I already had, the total cost for the materials was around $15. I think it took my friend under an hour, including shopping. I'm counting on this to save my yard and lessen my water bills!

What quick solutions for home improvements have you tested and found useful? Please leave a comment on the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I can't wait until my husband comes home so I can show him this post!

    ReplyDelete