Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

January 3, 2009

Custom Jewelry Box

My new bedroom is brightly colored, with one fall orange-colored wall, and three mustard yellow walls. Luckily, I have a fairly large window so the room is nice and bright in daylight, but at night, the biggest block of time I spend in the bedroom, it can feel small and dark. So I've kept the bedding and accents white to lighten the space.

When I saw this at a store on clearance, I thought it was perfect for my bedroom. Inside, it was just a plain box barely lined.

I bought it anyway, thinking it would make a beautiful jewelry box. At home I googled "jewelry insert." Within ten minutes I'd found an online source for padded inserts. The ones I chose were about 3/4 in. thick with slits cut to hold rings. When the inserts came in the mail, I cut them to fit using my good sewing scissors, and voila! I have a custom jewelry box for my nice rings. I was able to put a layer in the lid as well as on the bottom. I've also stuck earrings in the ring slots, and used the bottom to hold a few special necklaces. The total project cost less than twenty bucks, and my heirlooms now have a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment