Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 21, 2011

Hillside Produce Cooperative


The Hillside Produce Cooperative has made a barterer of me. The group is a community organization that meets monthly to trade produce, flowers, and baked goods from your own backyard. The idea is to avoid waste and spread variety of local produce.

To this weekends coop, I contributed large bunches of garlic chives from my own garden, as well as a couple of squash and a few tomatoes from a friends garden, and a small colander of figs picked (with permission) from a tree around the corner from my house. The above photo shows the bounty that I got in return!

The organizer even makes a checklist, so you know exactly what's in your package when it comes back to you. My score included lemons, oranges, grapefruit, calamondin, cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, chile peppers, kumquat, green chard, chives, grapes, bay, sage, pineapple sage, tarragon, rosemary, oregano, parcel, mint, chocolate mint, lavender, a cut bella donna flower, an iris bulb, a baggie containing an almond dessert and puff guava pastry, and a slice of zucchini bread. The baked goods didn't make it into my photos, because they were eaten before I even made it to my car!

The Hillside Cooperative is just a great group of generous folks. Their website even lays out how to organize a group in your area. They've been the inspiration for groups all over the city, so there's likely to be one in your neighborhood!

(the pack of herbs in my bag)

(the cut flowers: lavender, bella donna, and an iris bulb)

(the checklist of goodness)

No comments:

Post a Comment