Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

May 4, 2014

Shirred Eggs with Lentils and Bruschetta


My foodie addiction of late has been Trader Joe's Steamed Lentils mixed with their Trader Giotto's branded Bruschetta Sauce.  The lentils are pre-cooked, so all you have to do is break them up a bit with a fork and mix with the brushetta, which is fresh, not canned.  I discovered this combination through an in-store demo.  I've been trying to eat more beans in my diet, but I am often put off by the texture.  These lentils are perfectly hidden in the bruschetta.  It's great as a dip for pita chips.  I've also used it as the base sauce for delicious homemade pizza.  

When I was planning an Easter brunch, I wanted an elegant presentation with a new twist, so I thought of using this lentil-bruschetta mixture as a base for Shirred Eggs.  Shirred, or baked eggs, is a dish in which eggs have been baked in a flat-bottomed dish.  They are baked simply until the whites have set and the yolks are thickened, and are usually served in the dish in which they were baked.  I cooked them in soup bowls, making for an individual presentation for each guest.  I used a base layer of the lentil-bruschetta sauce, then poured two egg whites and one whole egg on top.  Once cooked, I garnished with sliced avocado.

This is an easy egg dish to dress up my own meal plan, since I can cook a single serving.  I can use my toaster oven for the small dish, and one will take as little as 20 minutes, so I can put a dish in the oven then go take a shower, and breakfast is ready by the time I'm out.  For myself, I use egg whites only, omitting the cholesterol of the yolk. 


What are some ways you use to increase beans in your diet, or your families, for people who don't like the texture?  Please leave a comment on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment