Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

May 21, 2019

Beginning Drawing Class Week Four


For my fourth week in drawing class, we did essentially the same as last week, using charcoal pencil and mechanical eraser after smudging the paper to create a drawing.  To put a twist on it,  our instructor brought some watercolors for us to experiment with underneath the smudged charcoal dust.  The added pop of color gave a different dimension to the still life.

The instructor had this example drawn by another student in an earlier class to demonstrate the powerful effect:

This was my perspective of the still life from the left side of the classroom:

The color was meant to be free-flowing and impressionistic rather than exact, but I was surprised at how much it showed after the smudging.  Another student took the time to sketch basic shapes before watercolor treatment, and in the end I wished I'd done that, rather than free-handing it. 


I'm not very proud of this drawing - nor do I consider it finished - but it's a useful exercise.  While I think I can sketch forms a little bit, I'm still learning how to interpret and implement values.   Only three more sessions left!


No comments:

Post a Comment