Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

May 1, 2019

Beginning Drawing Week One



I've started taking a beginning art class at Barnsdall Art Center.  Barnsdall is a nonprofit devoted to providing affordable, quality arts education to the Los Angeles area.  The Barnsdall Art Park was donated by Aileen Barnsdall to the city in 1927. The Spring session lasts eight weeks, and their prices are quite reasonable.  

I missed the first week of classes due to my Easter vacation to see family.  I'm told they worked on perspective by focusing on boxes.  For this class, the focus was on ellipses. 


The instructor set up a nice tableau of grapes and a water glass with one Mole light that cast a distinct shadow.  After a short lecture, we were on our own to begin sketching.  The instructor came around to each of us with individual comments and demonstration when we needed help.  

My biggest take away from the day is to always have lunch before class.  I'm sure it'll get a lot more fun as the projects get more involved, but on this first day, I had a really hard time staring at a bowl of grapes for three hours.  Anyway, practice makes perfect!  I've never taken an art class like this, so I'm really excited to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment