Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

June 25, 2019

Hesby House Garden 2019 -- Irises and Dahlia


I have a brief update on the 2019 garden.  Since I lost all of my in-ground beds when the new owner took over the property about two years ago, I haven't talked much about gardening.  But I do have a few things in pots, and am pleased with what has survived.

It was painful to have to dig up everything I'd tended for years and give them away to friends.   My most special bulbs went to a friend that had just bought a house, in hopes that someday I can get starts back from her.  

I grew four kinds of tomatoes this year, planted mid-March, but the cold weather gave them a late start.  They're also in pots, and as predicted Sungold Cherry has been my most prolific producer.  I've gotten four or five Pineapples, and my the other two are just starting to fruit.  

My dahlia is nothing more than a stick in a pot for three quarters of the year.  ever winter I think it's dead, but leave it alone to give it one more shot, and in the spring lo and behold! a shoot pops up.  This year the flowers are only about two feet tall, but they are happy and seeking sun.


memorial flags for Caitie on left and Chance on right
I have two raised garden beds about three feet by two feet that are filled primarily with herbs.  Along the back corner are two kinds of container grapes that are promising but the California weather has been so uneven the past few years that they've managed to survive but not really thrive.  My herbs are lemon balm, sage, garlic chives, thyme, and sometimes rosemary.  The back half of the first bed is filled with a few irises.

My mint pot with a bird trellis

One of the irises from my old garden bloomed this spring right in front of the memorial flag to my beloved Chance.  It was him smiling at me, I'm sure. 




I bought three new irises from Armstrong Gardens this spring, and one bloomed immediately.  It's called "Apricot Silk."  I also located an Iris Society in the San Fernando Valley just in time to attend their spring sale.  So I have three new member-grown Irises that I hope will root this year and flower next spring. 

Bearded Iris "Apricot Silk"

No comments:

Post a Comment