Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

June 14, 2019

Quinoa, Tomato, and Avocado Stuffed Enjoya Pepper with Everything Bagel Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprout


Thanks to Melissa's Produce, I had an abundance to share with a friend last night.  I went over to cook dinner for my friend Molly and I at her apartment.  It's fun to make new things in an environment I wasn't familiar with.  And thanks to the fresh ingredients I was able to bring with me, the prep wasn't too extensive or messy. 
 
 

For a main course, I made a filling of Melissa's pre-cooked quinoa, which comes in a tube.  I simply fluffed the quinoa and added sliced baby heirloom tomatoes and diced avocado, with a bit of salad dressing vinaigrette.  I sliced off the top of two Enjoya peppers, then used a spoon to clean out the seeds.  The quinoa salad mixture went easily into the peppers, which were roasted at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes.  The idea was to soften the pepper without overcooking the prepared quinoa, hence the high heat. 


As a side, we had balsamic vinaigrette and everything bagel seasoning roasted Brussels sprouts.  After cutting off the ends of the Brussels sprouts, I first blanched them in boiling water for about a minute to reduce the bitterness of the sprouts.  The bright green color of the sprouts once blanched is amazing.  I then cut them in half lengthwise, and chiffonaded about three heads of shallots.  I tossed the sprouts and shallots in olive oil with a generous splash of balsamic vinegar and about two tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning.  Roasting the veggies at 450 for about 35 minutes, stirring once halfway through, turned them crispy and flavorful.  

The quality and freshness of Melissa's Produce products truly make my cooking the most flavorful meals I could ever serve.  Mindfully choosing the products I use in my home is my way of caring for my family and friends, as well as taking care of myself.  And by eating the freshest, I am willing to try foods normally out of my comfort zone, like Brussels sprouts (normally - ew, yuk!).  When I prepare the best, I eat more variety.  Look for Melissa's products in your local grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment