Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

December 31, 2009

Fourth Quarter Round-Up

Once again, in the fall, I kept a running list of the good and bad for the quarter, but failed to post it at the end of the year. So, without further editing, I'm hitting "publish." I like having a tangible list of my goals, as a sort of a journal accounting. Here was October/November/December 2009:

-Had my Dyson vaccum cleaner professionally serviced & cleaned to maximize efficiency and supported a local business in the process.
-Had Claire's cysts biopsied at the end of October--came back as benign "follicular cysts"
-Improved my culinary skills by learning to make baked/scalloped apples, squash casserole, and a "sausage" breakfast casserole
-Donated dog cookies that I'd baked and packaged to my 4-H club to sell at Judging Day to benefit the club. Continued to donate my time as a 4-H leader.
-Finally found a 2nd bowl for my ice cream maker at a thrift store for $5! Sounds silly, but I waited a long time to find this secondhand (been looking for a year) rather than wasting a lot of money ordering from the manufacturer and contributing to mass consumerism. Now I can make two kinds of ice cream at once! I'm trying to make more purchasing choices consciously, as I did this time.
-Got my pasta maker attachment for my stand mixer at a thrift store for $54, which retails from the manufacturer for $169. I then sold via etsy for $25 my old manual pasta maker that I'd never used. Total investment: $34. And I held to the item in-item out rule that will keep my clutter in check.
-Registered on Swaptree.com; started trading books there in addition to PaperBackSwap.
-Hosted Thanksgiving for eight people, including myself--parents and friends that are family. Bought way too much groceries; cooked for a week; cooked holiday meal; decluttered and cleaned house to fit all the people in. Forgot to take pictures.
-Introduced my mom to z-coil shoes, orthopedically fit to an individual. Hoping she'll see benefits to her knees and back.
-Found an "adopt a family" program for the 4-H club to participate in during the holidays. Picked up the club's collected gifts and delivered to the shelter for them
-Got a two-week vacation/break at my folks' for the holidays. Drove, with dogs, in storm, stranded overnight in hotel. Spent time mostly crafting with my mom.
-Fulfilled jury duty
-Did not do the day-after-Christmas sales, where I normally do ALL my holiday shopping in advance for the next year. This sets me up for a very low-key, homemade holiday next year. I'll have to have conversations with family and friends to prepare us both for this. And am not used to doing gifts at the last minute--so will have to make a conscious effort to prepare throughout the year. Will not be doing stockings for my immediate family next Christmas.

Goals for winter:
-Focus on looking for work
-Continue blogging, 4-H work
-As usual, get more physical
-Continue daily dog walking, grooming them regularly myself
-Craft for next xmas in January
-Bring back my garden

No comments:

Post a Comment