Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

September 24, 2009

The Big Picture: Rogers & Hammerstein at the Bowl


My last bowl concert of the summer was great fun! I took a friend to see The Big Picture, a yearly event with a chosen theme where they air a ton of clips while playing the movie score. This one was dedicated to Rogers & Hammerstein's movie musicals.

Host of the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) network Robert Osborne was our moderator for the evening, and did a great job introducing each piece, giving back story and history on Rogers & Hammersteins working relationship.


The evening started off with a bang, jumping right into Oklahoma! including "Surrey with a Fringe On Top."






My favorite part of the evening was a tribute to The King & I--my private secret: I was in the chorus of this musical in high school. I tried not to sing along too loudly at the Bowl.












Another familiar musical, from my brother's days in community theater: South Pacific. I so love the movie much better than any stage version.












Though the evening featured a bunch of my personal favorites, there was one I'd never seen--Flower Drum Song.




The Piece de Resistance was the finale--The Sound of Music, complete with the opening crane shot coming over the hill, and the family making their final ascent to freedom at the end of the film.

















Do you prefer seeing contemporary vocal artists at venues like this, or do you enjoy a symphonic performance? Leave me a comment on the blog with your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. What a great event! I love Rogers & Hammerstein. And, in answer to your question, symphony, of course!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that movie Flower Drum Song when I was a kid. Actually I loved all the ones you mentioned. You are lucky to have attended this event. And yeah, I would have been singing along as well!

    ReplyDelete