Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

October 16, 2009

Moth Traps and Garden Bugs


I need help, so I'm bringing this problem to you: Moths are flitting about my home, at least four or five in each room, mostly at sundown. I'm not sure if they're coming in the dog door or just coming through the cracks in the house, but while I'm controlling them with traps, I haven't been able to eliminate the problem. I think the fires this year in August & September near my house really intensified this problem for me--perhaps the smoke made the moths come down to a lower elevation than normal.


The Safer Pantry Pest Traps are about $6 for a set of two. I found them at my local Lowes hardware store. The Safer company is the maker of Safer Soap, the liquid organic insecticide that you spray on plants to keep mites and thrips away. These people know their bugs. The Pantry Pest Trap lures the male moths using pheromones, ultimately trapping them thereby braking the breeding cycle. Each trap covers up to 1000 sq ft. For a minimal dollar investment, this can be a great weapon.

I have several Pantry Pest traps in each room of my home, and they really work to catch the bugs flying around. But I'm tired of waiting for bugs to be caught! I also put one on each shelf of my kitchen pantry, and I've gone through everything in the closet with a fine tooth comb. The traps out in the open rooms are getting many more insects than the ones in the pantry, so I don't think the infestation is in the pantry. Any experience with this?



I have noticed white whispy stuff on some of my garden plants, so I think the breeding ground may have begun there. I've cut down the canna to the ground for fall in hopes that would help get rid of the problem, or at least move it farther away from the house. Just this week, I've tried an organic solution in the garden--importing a predator, Green Lacewings. Here's the info from the package:



What I bought was a little paper flyer of information, containing a postcard. I then had to send away for my larvae in the mail. It arrived in a padded manila envelope a couple weeks later. The larvae were invisible to my eyes, but packaged in sawdust. I sprinkled them in my tomato garden bordering my house, and am hoping they will find my moths before they can enter my home! I added them to the garden about a week before this weeks rains, so I'm hoping they've not been drowned out.



Here's a picture of the adult green lacewing, so I know they're not what I'm catching in my Pantry Pest trap. So far I've not seen any lacewings. I'll do an updated post if there are any new developments in this story. ;o)


Have you had problems with moths or other insects in your homes? How did you deal with it? I'm completely open to suggestions, so please leave a comment on the blog.

1 comment:

  1. A friend I know had trouble with moths in a sweater box, and someone on my compact webgroup recommended this site for information:

    http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef609.asp

    And since I'm doing an update, I've never seen any green lacewings in the garden or elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete