Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

October 3, 2009

Recipe Corner: Tapioca Cheese Souffle



This was a standard in my home when I was small. It's the recipe I'd request whenever my mom let me choose a meal. I made it this week (using my new KitchenAid Stand Mixer!) and thought I would share. The picture doesn't look all that appetizing because of the quality of light in my kitchen--not very conducive to photographs. That's something I'd like to fix--any suggestions?

I always more than double the amount of cheese called for in the recipe. And for a variation, try something other than cheddar.

Tapioca Cheese Souffle

1/4 cup Minute Tapioca
1 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cup milk
4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
1 cup lightly packed cheddar cheese

1) Combine tapioca, salt, and milk in saucepan; let stand 5 minutes, then cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Allow to cool slightly while beating eggs.

2) Beat egg whites untill stiff, shiny peaks form. Beat egg yolks until thick and light.

3) Add tapioca mixture to egg yolks, mixing well. Fold mixture into egg whites.

4) Spoon souffle into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Place a larger pan onto oven rack, and add boiling water to the larger outer pan. Then set the souffle dish into the water bath.

5) Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until firm.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Etsy Store

My Zazzle Products

My YouTube Player

Take my Books for Free!