Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

November 25, 2009

Gobble-Gobble Cake


I came across a cast iron Nordicware pan today for five bucks, so I couldn't resist--especially since I'm celebrating Thanksgiving in my own home for the first time this year. Now I can tell my dad I'm making him a turkey. Since I'm vegetarian, he'll be suspicious.


I considered using this as a butter mold, but it has a five cup capacity. Bit much for dinner for four people, eh?


My friend lost his beak when I un-molded him, so some frosting surgery is in order before I serve this. But I just love this little turkey's wings and tail feathers. I guess I need to learn patience enough to allow a cake to cool before upending it and hoping for the best. I just had to see how it turned out!

Anyhoo, my friend who's in weight watchers gave me an easy "Cake Doctor"-type recipe to try, that she says has a comparatively low point value. Take any boxed cake mix, white, yellow or chocolate--I used a Devil's Food chocolate--and add only one can of regular pumpkin (not pie filling). Nothing else. Bake as directed on the box. Unless you're shaping the cake into a turkey, in which case allow four times the recommended baking time.

Note to self: try new pan, or new recipe. Not both at once.

I leveled the cake by cutting off the excess "muffin" before inverting it, so I had some portion to sample--the pumpkin mix was definitely dense and moist, even more than a regular mix. I think if I do this again, I'll use a regular chocolate mix rather than the Devil's Food. It's a treat for sure, and easy to whip up at a moment's notice.

What will you be serving on your Thanksgiving table? Leave me a comment on the blog with your traditions.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! Love the turkey!! We are having a traditional meal later today, starting with the turkey and proceeding right on down to the pumpkin pies. Sam will be making pumpkin mousse when he arrives. It is a chill, gray November day here in Ohio--but our house is warm and full of good smells.

    ReplyDelete