Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

September 11, 2010

Church Craft Boutique


By chance I found out about a one-day craft boutique at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Winnetka. I called within the vendor registration deadline, but it was already full, so I was put on a waiting list. Last night I was rush called on a cancellation, and today I was set up to sell! Here's my table, all set up.

I took my vintage Pyrex, some crafty stuff I had on hand like my zipper pulls, button pins, matchbooks and handmade cards. And since I've officially signed up as a consultant as of this week, I took a Longaberger catalog and business cards, both to solicit orders and to encourage folks to schedule a home demo party.

There were about twenty five booths at the event. They did a good job of diversifying the products--from jewelry, to candles, t-shirts, baby/kid stuff, stained glass, knitters, Mary Kay, to Christmas ornaments, and cards/paper crafters. It was only the second year of the boutique, so they're still adjusting the format. Overall it was well organized. There was a flat table fee, and vendors then kept all their sales.

The day wasn't very successful for me financially, but I did meet a few other crafters I'd like to stay in contact with, and I gave out a lot of my own business cards for the Longaberger idea and for future Pyrex orders. The booth fee went directly to the church, so I'm considering it a donation of sorts. I've heard recently that people are 150% more likely to buy if the item is tangible, so I was testing that theory today vs just selling through my Etsy store, and I have my answer. As research, the experience was productive.

What kind of items are you looking for as a customer at fall boutiques? Please leave a comment on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment