Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

September 9, 2010

Knockoffs: Pro or Con?





















On the left are the pants from Melodia Designs that I have been lusting after for my hula hooping classes. They're available in five sizes, and are priced at $85 per pair. A company based in the U.S., the website doesn't say where they are made.

On the right are the pants I found today on ebay, shipping from Hong Kong, for only $20, including shipping. They come in one-size-fits-all sizing, so I'd expect some alterations to be made, at least in my case in the length.

But for such a deep discount, would you pass up the knock off for the real thing to stay with a local product of possible better quality? I had to test the theory so I ordered just one pair of the Asian pants (instead of one in every color made, which I could have for about the same price as a pair of the Melodia pants). I'll do an update when they arrive, but for now, I'd love to hear your opinion. Please leave a comment on the blog with your reasoning.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. Pocketbook versus support the US economy (a US business if not US garment workers--although you don't know that). Pocketbook versus child labor laws. Pocketbook versus will the $20 pants wear out quickly, not fit right, etc?

    Glad it is you and not me, Ellen!

    I have to ask--WHAT the heck goes on in a hula hoop class than you are dressed in such glam wear?????????? ;-)

    ReplyDelete