Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

September 8, 2010

Recipe Corner: Mrs. Danbom's Cheeseburger Pie

My mom is downsizing in a major way, in preparation for their retirement next summer. So I'm occasionally receiving boxes of miscellaneous "stuff" from my former life. It's considerate of my mom to try to spread this out and not overwhelm me with the massiveness of our home all at once, and I'm glad to be doing this with my parents, while they're still alive--but I find it disruptive to have to deal with this in chunks out of the blue. And fun too. The other day I received some cookbooks from my childhood, beginner ones. In Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cookbook were a couple of handwritten recipe cards. One of them, marked "Ellen's from Mrs. Danbom" was from the mother of my best friend. I didn't eat meat as a child, either, so I don't know if she ever got me to eat this--maybe my mom requested it from her. But it'll be fun to try now, with some veggie crumbles substituted for the ground beef. It may even become my entry for next year's Good Food Pie Contest.


Mrs. Danbom's Cheeseburger Pie

1 lb. ground beef or veggie substitute
1/2 cup chopped onion

brown and drain the above together.

1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cups Jiffy Mix or Bisquick
3 eggs

Grease 10 in. pie pan. Cook meat & onions and drain. Spread in pie pan. Add salt and pepper and grated cheese. Beat remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour into pie pan. Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees or till golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment