Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

June 21, 2009

Brown and Blue Stained Glass Stepping Stone


Here's today's "Stained Glass Sunday" blog--it's a stepping stone I made in 1997 or 1998. It's the first time we tried to tint the cement. This is still in my parents front yard, having survived freezing Utah winters in the ground. To make these, glass is cut and ground before being affixed upside-down to contact paper, then laid in the bottom of a vaseline-coated form. Finally concrete is poured on it, and allowed to set, with chicken wire laid in the wet cement to strengthen it. Lastly the form and contact paper are removed and the finished object is sanded if needed. I have several different concrete forms, and have made a few projects, but this one has always been my favorite.


The pattern is from the book Tiffany Garden by Julie Bishop Day. It was given to me as a free sample though, so I don't mind sharing it here. Click on the image to make it bigger. Or email me if you'd like me to send you a PDF version.



Do you have any mosaic projects in your home or garden? Do you use the objects as stepping stones, tables, or other objects? Tell me about it in a blog comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment