Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

June 14, 2009

Rose Stained Glass


I'm going to make Sunday "Stained Glass Sunday" on the blog until I have my portfolio published. This is one of the first pieces I made on my own, about 1997, without the security of taking a class. See how rough the corners are? My dad helped me hide all my mistakes by making a custom, double-sided oak frame. It wasn't a simple task given the uneven depth of my project. I love the colors involved and kept this for myself for quite a while. When my adopted grandparent, Yank Dangerfield, a friend from our church in Salt Lake City, was sick with cancer, I gave this piece to her and she hung it near her bed. After she died, I asked her son if I could have it back. It's been in my kitchen for the last three plus years, and every time I stand at my sink, I think of my friend Yank.




Here's the pattern I used, courtesy of Creative Glass Incorporated, Salt Lake City, UT. Click on the image above to enlarge it. The project measures 8 1/2 inches square. If you'd like me to email a PDF version of the pattern to you, just drop me a note via the contact information on the blog sidebar.

What's the best gift you've ever made for someone, and what was the occasion? Relate your story to me in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment