Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

July 16, 2009

Jenny Lewis & Ray LaMontagne at the Bowl


Sunday night, I took my friend Lori to the Bowl--actually, I'd given the tickets to her weeks before as her birthday present. So the anticipation for this night was high. We had great weather, an easy shuttle bus ride from the LA Zoo, and a lovely picnic on the terrace overlooking the main courtyard. The picnic was so relaxing that we pretty much missed the opening act, Blitzen Trapper.




I'd never heard of Jenny Lewis before, but she turned out to be a great performer. She's one that is probably better live, where her energy really shows. She totally rocked the crowd and got everyone into a party mood.






The headliner, Ray LaMontagne, performed with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. He really utilized their talents and melded well with them. It made for a soothing low-key evening. I love his harsh, Tom Jones-esque voice. My favorite song of his that I was familiar with when I bought the tickets is "Three More Days." He didn't perform that one tonight, but did do some of his more famous, like "Trouble" and "Let it Be Me." The lighting was subdued, but LaMontagne is another obvious great live performer.



The Bowl is really widening my musical palette this year. I again came home and added artists to my Pandora playlists.


Who's the best artist you've seen live? Tell me your story in the comments section of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment