Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

July 28, 2009

Michael Feinstein & Jewel @ the Bowl: Art of Song


This last weekend I took a friend to see Michael Feinstein and Jewel at the Hollywood Bowl. I've heard Feinstein in some t.v. specials, and been impressed. I had a great time at his supper club Feinstein's in Hollywood--in fact, spent my most memorable Valentine's Day there some years back. So I was excited to see him on the bill this year. And Jewel is a favorite of mine, both for her beautiful voice and her anti-establishment persona.

I met my friend there, since we live in disparate parts of town. I was the early one, so I had some time to shoot some candids of the atmosphere at the bowl that I usually don't stop to notice.


Above, the picnic spot over the box office where Lori and I noshed at my last concert.


The main plaza, gift shop, and the first escalator towering above.



Looking down the main entrance hill.


The row of ticket-takers against the hill.



Though not full, the crowd for this show was immense, and this time I had a perfect view of all of them.




Michael Feinstein did not impress me this time as much as he had in the past--he came off as a bit over the top. But as usual, his collection pulled from the Great American Songbook was classic.




Jewel really stole the show and saved the evening from being a waste. She started out with some classic songs but segued into her own music, backed inventively by the Bowl Orchestra. She was a pleasure to hear, and I came home replaying her voice in my head.



The fireworks at the end of the show were a perfect way to cap off the evening. I got some videotape of that, but it needs a little sweetening to be viewable. Something to post another time....

Ready to join me for a Bowl concert yet? Give me a shout out at the blog, and we can set something up.

No comments:

Post a Comment