Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 25, 2009

Diana Krall at the Bowl



My latest Hollywood Bowl concert featured a true powerhouse, Grammy-winner Diana Krall. I'd heard her voice but never had the opportunity to see her live. She performed with the L.A. Philharmonic, so the evening was like two concerts in one!




As I said, I was aware of Diana Krall's vocal prowress, but I didn't know the extent to which she's a piano virtuoso. She accompanied herself on almost every number--quite the pianist.



Diana Krall reminds me uncannily of my god friend Maddy, also a Canadian, who moved back home a year or two ago. I was missing her all night.


Diana performed her usual repertoir of standards and romantic ballads, along with selections from her new album with a decidedly Latin feel. She was also fairly talkative, telling stories about her kids in her intros, and letting us know her dad was in the audience. It was neat to get to know her a bit as a person.


What a pleasant night! Have you ever seen Diana Krall or any other Jazz vocalist in concert? Who is your favorite and where have you seen them live? Please leave a comment for me on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment