Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 17, 2009

Knitting Class at TreePeople


The wonderful folks at Wabi-Sabi Knits taught a class on making handknit dishcloths yesterday at TreePeople's Coldwater Canyon Park.

The class was part of TreePeople's Once Upon a Canyon Night Series, featuring special events at the S. Mark Taper Foundation Ampitheater. The venue has a small stage with bleacher seating designed to seat 99 people. My friend was invited to go as a volunteer thank-you, and I was lucky enough to attend as her guest. As part of the same series, they're having a nature photography class next Sunday, the 23rd. Follow the link above for more information.


Above, Jodi of Wabi-Sabi holds up a dishcloth sample of what the class was making. Jodi and May gave out a sheet with three different patterns: a solid-colored dishcloth, a striped one, and a bi-colored triangle dishcloth. We each chose our own project and dove in.

In a move of self-control, I brought one of the 500 unfinished projects I already had in my home, and worked on it. I still got to take home a pattern, and I was able to learn by watching everyone else, while getting work done on a knit scarf I'd meant to complete months ago. I'm still not finished, but I'm two hours closer!


The girls brought a whole basket of lovely yarn to choose from if you chose to purchase a kit, rather than bringing your own. Learning to cast on, below.


Below, May of Wabi-Sabi instructs my friend Lori.



Our surroundings at the ampitheater. What a beautiful Sunday to sit and knit!


Lori shows off her progress for the day.

If you'd like more information on our lovely instructors, May and Jodi, click on the Wabi-Sabi postcard at the top of this post, which will take you to their website. I'm hoping to hook them up with my 4-H club kids this fall!

Do you know how to knit? What have you made? Where are your favorite places to knit, and who do you do it with? Leave a comment on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment