Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

August 30, 2009

Diamond-cut Leaf with Teardrop

Delayed posting: August has been a month of busy weekends. I worked all this last weekend, so didn't get around to putting this up until today, but I think you'll like it....

Stained Glass Sunday--where I post something from my portfolio of Golden Hour Stained Glass work.


My mom was a counselor for a grief support training called Resolve Through Sharing, whose motto was a leaf, holding a single teardrop, and floating on a pond. I loved the leaf motif and color scheme of deep purples and natural greens.


The deep cuts of the leaf were impossible to make using standard cutting techniques, so I thought of this motif when I first got my Taurus Diamond Head Ring Saw. This tool allows cuts in all directions. As a gift for my mom, I adapted the pattern from the logo myself, and created an oval about two feet high by eighteen inches wide.


Again I used copper foiling technique, reinforcing with solid copper strips. Here's the project during the soldering phase, before I'd framed the outer rim with zinc came.


I collected the glass for this project over the course of a year or so. The shadow effect is not a brown or black glass but actually a deep purple that's quite rare. And the lower part of the water isn't a clear glass, but a very light rose purple color.



This is the only project I've had professionally framed. I ordered a double-sided frame that could be viewed from front or back. This is a molded wood composite which is laser shaped to specification, which was great since my oval was not necessarily symmetrical.

My dad then made an oak stand so that my mom could use this piece at bereavement conferences and presentations.


Any reactions for me? Let me know by leaving a comment on the blog.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just catching up on some long overdue blog reading and had to comment on this: you do beautiful work. Just gorgeous. I saw the one you did for your sister (the one that got a bit broken when shipped)--same comment. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this something you can make more of or that I can get a quote for? I'd like to give this as a gift to family members with a recent loss.

    ReplyDelete