Subscribe Via Email

Like reading this blog? You can get the complete text of the latest articles at Within My Means in your email inbox each morning by entering your email address below, then verifying the subscription. Your address will only be used for mailing you the blog, and each one will include a link so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

May 25, 2009

Culver Ice Rink Coffee Club

(me pre-recital, circa 1984)

I took ice skating lessons when I was very young, and picked it up again in college. My skates travel everywhere with me--they live in the trunk of my car so I always have them. I have a dear friend in Salt Lake City, where my parents live, that I get together with to skate every time I visit.

I live closest to Pickwick Ice Center, but I find that rink annoyingly crowded with young kids that like to race around and slam into the walls while I'm practicing my t-stops. My favorite rinks are the Culver Ice Arena and the Toyota Sports Center. They're both about an hour away from my house, so I don't go as often as I should.


The Culver Ice Arena has a Thursday morning coffee club. For ten bucks, you get a session that lasts from 945A-1145A and includes a group lesson: warm up from 945-1015A, then have a group lesson from 1015-11A, then practice and play on your own till 1145A. You must own your own skates, and should be comfortable with forward cross-overs. Sounds like fun to me! I'm putting this on my to-do list.

Have you ever skated? Instead of ice skates, do you use in-line skates? Where's your favorite place to go? Made any friends this way? Leave me a comment with your remarks.

Culver Ice Rink
4545 Sepulveda Blvd
Culver City, CA 90230
(310) 398-5718
culvericearena.com

Toyota Sports Center
555 N Nash St
El Segundo, CA 90245
(310) 535-4510
toyotasportscenter.com

3 comments:

  1. That photo is pretty ridiculously cute.
    I have one of myself about the same age. I'm actually out of the rink, wearing plaid wool pants (it's the 70s) and my ankles are so bowed in it's hard to believe I'm actually remaining upright.
    I was terrible at iceskating! Loved to watch it, hated doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasadena has a coffee club for adults on Fridays. Great deal! Check out their site for details

    http://www.skatepasadena.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the East West Ice Palace, the rink built in Artesia by Michelle Kwan:

    http://www.eastwesticepalace.com/info.html

    ReplyDelete